- 9:30 a.m.
- The 3rd Wednesday of each month
- Division of Transportation (unless otherwise noted)
600 W Winchester Road
Libertyville, IL 60048
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
The Lake County Sheriff, with approval from the County Board, appoints members of the Lake County Sheriff’s Office Merit Commission to serve 6-year terms:
- Leo C. McCann, Chairperson
- Kenneth Kessler, Vice-Chairperson
- David A. Northern Sr., Secretary
- Nick Gountanis, Treasurer
- Deborah L. Goldberg, Commissioner
- Jessica Rios, Executive Assistant
On September 14, 1965, the Lake County Board enacted an ordinance creating the Lake County Sheriff’s Office Merit Commission. The Merit Commission is a quasi-judicial administrative agency. It operates independently of both the Sheriff and the County Board, administering a system along recognized principles of public employment, promotion, and discipline, as prescribed by state statute and county ordinance.
What We Do
- The Lake County Sheriff’s Office Merit Commission is charged with the screening of all applicants seeking appointment to the office of Deputy Sheriff
- Administer written examinations for promotion within the Department
- Conduct hearings on disciplinary charges brought before the Commission
- Other administrative duties
It is the mission of the Lake County Sheriff’s Office Merit Commission to provide professional, high quality, and effective personnel to the Sheriff’s Office. We, the members of the Commission, believe that our work has a vital impact on the quality of life in our community. By recognizing the changing and diverse needs of the community, the Commission promotes and encourages a policy of professional individual excellence. We support an organizational climate of mutual trust and respect.
If you are interested in our lateral transfer program, please see our Rules and Regulations Article VI, 6.07 (PDF) to see if you qualify. We are accepting applications.
The Merit Commission is not accepting entry Deputy applications at the present time. Individuals that are interested in the position are more than welcome to complete an Employment interest form. Individuals that complete the interest form will receive a notify via email when the Merit Commission is accepting application. Thank you for your interest.
The Merit Commission follows the Illinois State Police POWER (physical agility) test guidelines (PDF
Lake County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.